After striving to keep a balanced diet throughout the year, you are faced with the challenge of maintaining your weight in the holiday season. How can you achieve it? Follow these 10 tips and you’ll get it!
The busy and joyful days of the last month of the year are here. And of course, you will not want to miss meetings or celebrations. How can you do it without ruining the weight you have achieved with so much sacrifice? You can achieve this by preparing a strategy that includes the following steps:
1. Do not skip meals. If you want to keep your weight this holiday season, do not let races and commitments take away your time to eat properly: from breakfast to dinner. This allows you to maintain your blood sugar and energy levels, which in turn controls your appetite. The ideal is to eat something every 3 to 4 hours.
2. One of the most important steps to maintain weight during the holiday season is to get moving! Get up a little earlier and go for a walk or go to the gym to sweat those calories that you may be consuming too much. In addition , exercise helps you release stress and, as we know, stress is one of the factors that leads to overeating.
3. According to the Cleveland Clinic, to maintain weight during these holidays, it is important that you concentrate on what is most important: human relationships. “Concentrate on socializing,” says the entity. “When you’re at a party, do not stop near the food table, better concentrate your energy on conversation with others and not on food. The conversation has no calories!
4. Join a support group … or create your own! Nothing like a support network to help us maintain useful habits. Some friends agree in these seasons to cook healthier and maintain their exercise routine during the holidays. Others do it more completely, such as Duke University, with its ” Maintain Do not Gain ” program. This offers tips and strategies to adopt or maintain healthy behaviors and recipes, so that your participants do not gain weight during the holidays. They also offer tools for stress management, physical activity, suggestions and encouraging messages to maintain the goal of maintaining your weight. We also have a support group.
5. Choose wisely what you are going to eat. Increase your salad ration and place less rice on your plate, select more protein and less carbohydrates. This is a great strategy to maintain your weight during the holidays. If you are going to cook, you may want to look for ideas among our healthy recipes .
6. Get rid of temptation! If you organize a special dinner at home these holidays, do not keep the food that is left over (what they call ” leftovers ” in English ). Distribute it among the guests, because that will only keep you eating those calories-laden treats.
7. Many fail to maintain their weight due to the frequent toasts of these holidays. Limit your alcohol consumption as much as possible. Alcoholic beverages are empty calories (which lack nutrition).
8. Speaking of drinks, sodas, juices and other sugary drinks are a calorie bomb . In these holidays substitute them for water. This is the queen of healthy drinks. It also helps you to stay satisfied longer.
9. Control the size of the portions . It is known that the more food we take to the plate, the more we will eat, especially in this holiday season where temptations abound. If your host is serving, ask him gently to let you serve yourself, so you have control over the amount and size of what you eat.
10. Eat a fruit or salad before going to each party. If you want to maintain your weight, it is best that you never arrive hungry at a party because you will eat twice as much. It is important that you remain satisfied by having healthy foods on hand.
Also check with your friends what tricks have helped them control their calories and weight. As you see, it is not about depriving yourself of anything, but to act with a certain plan, to have a little bit of willpower, without for that reason to stop enjoying the good moments. This way you can keep your weight not only in this holiday season, but all year long!