Stomach cancer is one of the most difficult cancers to detect and is often detected when it is in advanced stages. One of the most common questions about this cancer is if there is a way to prevent it. In Life and Health we remind you what the symptoms are and we give you some tips that can help you to prevent stomach cancer.
Stomach cancer or gastric cancer is not the most frequent in the United States, but it is one of the most feared, since it is usually silent and this makes it difficult to detect it early (there are different types). If you are worried that you may develop this type of cancer because other members of your family have it or because you meet other risk factors such as smoking, eating a diet rich in sodium (salt), eating few fruits and vegetables, or you are a man over 60 years old; Maybe you’re wondering if you can prevent it.
To know exactly how to prevent stomach cancer, it is necessary to know what causes it. However, until now it is not known exactly what is the cause of stomach cancer, so it can not be clearly defined how it can be avoided. However, it is known that healthy habits are the key to reducing your chances of developing stomach cancer and other serious diseases. Here are some tips:
- Eat a healthy diet: Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your daily diet. Put color on your plate! Vegetables and fruits, while more colorful, more nutritious. Eating better also helps you have a healthier weight, which is good for your overall health.
- Reduce the amount of salt you consume. Excess sodium affects your stomach. Try cooking with aromatic herbs and other spices to season your dishes without abusing the salt.
- Do not smoke. Smoking increases the risk of stomach cancer and other types of cancer. If you smoke and you have trouble quitting, talk to your doctor about the different aids available to quit tobacco once and for all.
- If you have had anemia, gastritis or stomach polyps, ask your doctor about your risk of developing stomach cancer. It may be that an exam such as endoscopy can help your doctor check your gastric health periodically.
It is important that you know and be alert to the appearance of the most common symptoms of stomach cancer:
- Acidity and / or fullness after eating small amounts of food. This sensation can be accompanied by many gases.
- Nausea, abdominal pain and vomiting.
- Fatigue and sudden weight loss.
If you suffer from these symptoms, consult your doctor immediately. It may be nothing more than an ulcer, but prevention is always better than cure. Do not let this silent cancer put your life at risk!